Motorhome FAQ's

If you have a question please feel free to contact us

Motorhome Frequently Asked Questions

What Motorhome can I drive on my UK Driving licence?

It will depend on the type of driving licence, your age and when your licence was issued. Anyone who passed their driving test before January 1st, 1997 will have automatically been awarded with the Category C1 on their driving license and are able to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes (7,500kgs) in gross weight. (Previously known as having `Grandfather Rights`).

If you passed your driving test after January 1st, 1997 you can legally drive any vehicle up to 3.5 tonne (3,500kgs). (Most modern motorhomes fall into this category)

If you passed your driving test after 1st January 1997 and wish to drive a Motorhome over 3.5 tonnes you will need to obtain a category C 1 licence which is commonly known as an PHGV ‘private heavy goods vehicle’ licence in the UK and requires you to undergo additional training and pass a medical, theory and practical driving test.

Each of the motorhomes listed on our website state which category they fall into. We show this information under the Technical Details section and is listed as M.T.P.L.M (Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass), most motorhomes available for viewing on our website fall at or under the 3.5 tonnes full capacity, and in this case a standard UK driving licence will enable you to legally drive a motorhome without any additional training.

When you are 70 years of age, you automatically lose many of your UK driving licence categories, but importantly retain the ability to drive a Motorhome that has a loaded weight (MTPLM) of no more than 3500 kg`s.

For those over 70 wishing to drive a heavier vehicle, for example a PHGV, it will be necessary to re-apply for those categories that have been removed that you wish to have re-instated. An online application together with a successfully completed medical examination, (repeated every 3 years) to ensure you are sufficiently healthy to continue to drive any vehicle you have previously passed a driving test for will be necessary.

You can check which category of vehicles you can drive by entering your details at the Official UK Government website. Click on the following link to enter your driving licence information.

It is believed that there are many Motorhome drivers driving vehicles they do not have the necessary license to drive, and our advice would be to anyone who believes they may be in breach to contact the DVLA.

Browse Online

View 360 virtual tours and videos online, Available to view 24 hours a day.

Personalised Walk Around

Book your private viewing via WhatsApp or Facetime.

Reserve and Collect

We will prepare and handover your new motorhome.